Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese

Looking for a stove top macaroni and cheese that is easy to prepare and tastes yummy? I've got one for you! I've tried making my own mac and cheese before, but most recipes are baked, and my kids don't like them as much, frankly, neither do I. I like the good old Kraft shells and cheese, but it isn't all that healthy so I found a great alternative in this recipe. This makes enough to feed an army if you're using it as a side dish, so either half it, or plan to use it in another meal within a couple of days. I froze the second half of mine, and baked it covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and then uncovered for an additional 15 minutes, and it tasted great. The original recipe calls for evaporated milk and a tad of hot sauce, I didn't use either. Below is what I did, and I won't change a thing!

Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from The Food Network

Ingredients:
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
3 ounces cream (The original recipe calls for 6oz evaporated milk, I used cream and milk instead.)
3 ounces milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
1/2-3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
8-10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded (I only used 8oz, because that's all I had.)

Directions:
Cook the pasta to al dente in a large pot of boiling, salted water, and drain. Return pasta to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese.  Continue to stir over low heat for about 3 minutes or until creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment