Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Zucchini Cakes

Looking for something to make with all of that zucchini you have growing in your garden? Well, officially, I don't have any zucchini growing in my garden, but my friend whose garden I was babysitting has tons, so for this week, I have lots of zucchini to cook with. While I was looking for a recipe for zucchini bread, I came across this one for fried zucchini cakes. It reminded me of potato cakes. Have you ever had those? Oh how I love those things. I haven't had one in years, but man does it bring back some glorious childhood memories. OK, back to the cakes. They are delicious. Let me state that again, they are simply delicious! Who ever knew that zucchini could taste so good? These are a must try. And they aren't too terribly unhealthy, you do fry them in olive oil.

Zucchini Cakes

Ingredients:
1 whole Large Zucchini (about 2 cups shredded)
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
½ cups Breadcrumbs
½ cups 4-cheese Italian Blend, Parmesan, or Romano
2 whole Eggs
Kosher Salt To Taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Olive Oil

Directions:
Wash and cut the end off of one large zucchini. Shred it using the large holes of a cheese grater, kitchen aid attachment, or food processor. Squeeze the shredded zucchini inside of a clean towel until you’ve removed as much liquid as possible.
Place shredded zucchini into a medium sized bowl. Add minced garlic, breadcrumbs, cheese (shredded), eggs, kosher salt and pepper to taste. Stir with a fork until well mixed.
Heat olive oil to a medium heat. When the oil is hot enough drop a spoonful of zucchini batter into the skillet and flatten it slightly. After about two minutes, turn the cakes over ( they should be nice golden-brown) and cook on the other side until done (about 2-3 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment