Thursday, August 12, 2010

Delicious Orange Chicken

So I had originally planned on posting something different today. But, after making this yummy orange chicken last night, I decided it needed to be posted immediately. It was that good. And the best part, my kids L-O-V-E-D it! It was definitely a hit at our house. Unlike my sweet and sour chicken, you don't have to fry the chicken before baking it. This is definitely a plus in my book. I think I may try my sweet and sour chicken cooked this way too, just so it will cut down on the time I spend preparing it. This chicken is moist and has a great orange flavor. I served my easy fried rice with it, and oh my gosh, have I mentioned how much I love fried rice, or how much I love this fried rice? I don't think I've shared my love for this stuff. If you haven't made it, you need to. It is delish!! I also steamed some broccoli to round out the dinner. Please make this soon. I think you'll be pleased, I know I was and so was my whole family! Score one for this mommy!



Orange Chicken
from My Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons oil or butter

1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons green onion
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Directions:
Heat oven to 350. In a bowl combine the flour, garlic powder and pepper. Dip each piece of chicken in flour mixture and coat evenly.

Pour oil (or melt butter and pour) in a shallow baking dish (I used a 9x13 baking dish.), large enough to fit all the chicken in a single layer. (I might also spray the dish with nonstick spray prior to adding the oil, my chicken still wanted to stick when it was time to turn it over.) Arrange chicken in pan and bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

While the chicken is baking, combine water, orange juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and orange zest in a medium saucepan and whisk over medium heat for a few minutes. Then stir in brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and green onion and let it come to a boil. Whisk together cornstarch and water and let it dissolve, then add it to the sauce until thickened.

After chicken has baked the 30 minutes, turn each piece over and pour 1/2 sauce mixture evenly over chicken. Bake another 30 to 40 minutes basting frequently, or give it a gentle stir .

Serve chicken over rice with extra sauce on the side. I recommend making my easy fried rice, it is phenomenal with this dish!

This dish has been linked to Sunday Potluck at Mommy's Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment