Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Bit o' the Bubbly


A bottle of chilled champagne is just what you need to celebrate a 21st birthday.  Instead of popping the cork, however, this birthday girl cut into the bucket.  It was Devil's Food chocolate with peanut butter buttercream filling. 

I used rock candy for the ice and I was impressed with how realistic it looked surrounding the bottle made of rice krispie treats and fondant.  It was also impressed with how heavy rock candy is.  This picture shows my second attempt at this cake... the first one was a total flop!  The candy was so heavy that it made the cake lean to one side and, eventually, fall over completely.  It looked like the cake had been drinking too much champagne!  Thankfully, I made the cake for a good friend's daughter and I had enough time to re-make it (with some architecture inside the cake the second time around)  before the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment