Friday, June 17, 2011

Father's Days from the Past



Father's Day is coming up, so I've reached back into my photo album to pull out these cake pictures from bygone years. This lovely star-shaped cake was probably from 2007 or so, and believe it or not, I actually whipped this one out pretty quickly. I don't really remember why, but I do remember thinking "Oh, a Father's Day cake? I need to make one of those... right now?!" Is it the most elaborate Father's Day cake ever? No. But was it sweet and well-received and delicious? Yes. And it was chocolate, so that's all my dad needs in a Father's Day cake. :)




I honestly have no idea what the date is on this cake, I just know I made it a really long time ago when my dad first started playing golf. I found this cake in a magazine (as I often did in my early decorating days, before I discovered Cake Central or even Wilton), and my grandma helped me put it together. There's coconut for the rough, brown sugar for the sand traps, blue piping gel for the water hazard, weird chewy mint leaves with pretzels for the tree, and tic tacs for the golf balls. How clever is that? And to think, I wasn't even serious about cake decorating back then. Oh, I've come a long way.


Now you're just going to have to check back in a few days to see my next chocolately masterpiece. I haven't exactly made it yet. You can't exactly blame me for waiting until the last minute, see, because my dad's a procrastinator too. And since he did give me half of my DNA, it's really his fault that I have such trouble with time management. So I can totally blame it on him...right? ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment