Thursday, August 20, 2009

How to make a sitting Spongebob Cake

Since my son watches me make cake after cake for other little children, he was so very excited when it was his turn to pick a cake and enjoy it all for himself. He decided on a Spongebob cake and it HAD to have a crabby patty. I was more than happy to make it for him!



Here's how I did it -
I started by baking two 10 inch square cakes. I cut them in half and torted the layers.


I stacked the cakes and filled them with fudge and mint chip buttercream.
I cut my dowels to the proper height and inserted them into the cake.
On another cardboard, I repeated my stacking and fillings with my other 10" cake.
With a sharp knife, I cut down my cardboards to the same size as the cakes. I then stacked the cakes on top of each other.

I then carved the cakes to look like Spongebob by tapering the bottom section. Next, I covered him in buttercream and put him in the refrigerator to chill (about 30 mins).

Next, I used my melon baller to create Spongebob's bumpy edges.  And who's going to know if you pop those extra little bites into your mouth.  :)

I then pushed a sharpened wooden dowel through the middle of both cakes until it was no longer sticking out of the top.  *If you are traveling with this cake be sure to push this center dowell all the way into a cake drum. (I use another dowell to help push it all the way through the drum.)



Next, was my favorite part - the decorating! I started by trimming the excess cardboard with an exacto knife and covered Spongebob in panels of fondant. After draping the fondant on the cake, I cut it to the perfect size with my exacto knife. Repeating on all sides. I used my ribbon cutter to make his pants and shirt out of fondant.


Using the end of my rolling pin, I pushed dents into Spongebob's body. I used round cutters for eyes and a clay gun make the edges. His mouth, feet and legs were all cut and formed by hand out of fondant. I rolled a log shaped piece of yellow fondant and inserted a skewer for his nose. I also used skewers to hold his arms in place. The crabby patty and other decorations on the board were hand modelled out of fondant.

Here is my handsome 4 year old son and his Spongebob cake. He's my sweetie!!

1 comment:

  1. Great cake and tutorial!!! How did you get the arm to stand up???

    ReplyDelete