Saturday, November 20, 2010

Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

What Thanksgiving dinner is complete without a yummy, soft dinner roll? Definitely not ours! As most of you already know, I like to use white whole wheat flour when I'm cooking, most of the time. So you shouldn't be surprised that I did that for our Thanksgiving meal. I saw these on a cute blog, Macaroni and Cheesecake, and decided I would make them for our meal. They turned out great. My rolls were definitely not pretty, but I didn't take much time to make them pretty. The only important thing was that they tasted delish, especially warm with butter on them. They weren't too hard to make, and would be a great addition to your Thanksgiving table!



Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
from Macaroni and Cheesecake, adapted from King Arthur Flour

Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water
1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
3 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk, warmed up a little
2 tbsp softened butter
1 tbsp. honey (optional)

Directions:
Add warm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Stir to combine and let stand for 5 minutes, until frothy.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, add in flour, salt and; gluten. Stir together. Add all remaining ingredients, including the yeast mixture. Using the dough hook attachment, knead dough on low to medium speed for approximately 10 minutes, until dough is pliable but won't tear. I had to add a tad bit more warm water to my dough.

Lightly oil or spray large bowl with cooking spray. Shape dough into a ball and place in oiled bowl. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.

Meanwhile, grease two 9 inch round cake pans, or any baking pan you want to use. Fold dough over a few times, divide into 16 to 18 equal pieces then gently roll into balls. As you can see in my picture, I didn't take much time to make my balls very pretty. Arrange evenly in the pans and cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment